As a part of GMAT SC preparations, am starting a kind of Super Week (Yep inspired from those silly ZooZoos & also someone's idea ! ) to jot down the basic Idioms, specially helpful to the non-native English speakers ! To begin with the following 1st list from Kaplan !
1. Regarded as ...& not regarded to be:
I regarded him as the most intelligent... & not
2. Considered a :
Considered to be is right but considered wordy by GMAT
Considered as a is Wrong
It is considered a major market leader...
3. as long as :
It too me 4 times as long as it would have taken me to complete the report...
& not long than XXXX
4.The Geneva Convention covers such Questions as (& not like) proper treatment
5. He plays Guitar as his father does. (& not like again !!)
6. at a rate of & not in a rate of
The GAs was being produced at the rate of...
7. prefer to & not over
I prefer Korean food to Japanese & not over (How to remember : GMAT avoids being wordy !)
8. from attending & not to attend (How to remember : You don't discourage someone to attend but from Attending !)
My Mom tried to discourage me from attending ,..
9. Between is used to choose to distinguish two things..& among is used for more than 4.
Ex : They divided the pie among themselves or among 4 of them
10. Fewer is used for countable things & less is used for abstract items & uncountable
Ex : Less milk/water .. Fewer Salary !